Should I remove Dictionary Toolbar Updater?
What percent of users and experts removed it?
61% remove it39% keep it
What do people think about it?
(click star to rate)
How common is it?
Dictionary Toolbar Updater
What is Dictionary Toolbar Updater?
"During the Search Application download process, you may be given the option to reset your Internet browsers' default homepage (or similar page – e.g., a start page, start tab, etc.) to Ask.com or some other specified webpage, and/or reset your new tab page (in compatible browsers) to an APN new tab product. If you elect this option, the specified webpage will become your default home page and/or the specified new tab product will appear each time you open a new tab in your Internet browser. The homepage and new tab products are further subject to the policies/terms of service linked to in the footer of such products themselves. The Search Application may include functionality to prevent certain accidental or surreptitious changes your homepage, new tab page and/or default search settings by third parties . Such functionality will block and notify you of such attempted changes. The defense functionality will not prevent changes made by APN, its partners or affiliates."
About (from Ask.com)
The Search Application may install into your Internet browser or operating system and allows you to search the Internet with Ask.com (the “APN Search Service”), and may provide other features as further described herein or during the Search Application installation process. If you already have a Search Application on y... Read more
Installation folder: C:\Program Files\ask.com\updater
Uninstaller: C:\Program Files\Ask.com\Updater\Updater.exe -uninstall
Estimated size: 1.53 MB
Files installed by Dictionary Toolbar Updater
|Ask Updater runs in the background of Windows and automatically starts up when your PC boots. It checks for software udpates and automatically downloads and installs them if found.
Startup File (All Users Run)
- Updater.exe is loaded in the all users (HKLM) registry as a startup file name 'ApnUpdater' which loads as "C:\Program Files\Ask.com\Updater\Updater.exe".
- Updater.exe connects to 18.104.22.168 (port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to 22.214.171.124 (port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to a23-67-242-105.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (126.96.36.199 port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to a23-67-242-107.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (188.8.131.52 port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to a23-67-242-33.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (184.108.40.206 port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to a23-67-242-40.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (220.127.116.11 port 80).
- Updater.exe connects to a23-67-242-57.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com (18.104.22.168 port 80).
Resource utilization averages
Show technical details
|I/O reads/min:||167 Bytes|
|I/O writes/min:||62 Bytes|
How do I remove Dictionary Toolbar Updater?
Quickly and completely remove Dictionary Toolbar Updater from your computer by downloading "Should I Remove It?", its 100% FREE and installs in seconds (click the button below).
Or, you can uninstall Dictionary Toolbar Updater from your computer by using the Add/Remove Program feature in the Window's Control Panel.
- On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, under Programs, do one of the following:
When you find the program Dictionary Toolbar Updater, click it, and then do one of the following:
- Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
- Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.
Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove Dictionary Toolbar Updater.
If for some reason uninstallation fails, please install Microsoft's uninstall fixer utility which will help fix problems with programs that can't be uninstalled at support.microsoft.com.
- Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
- Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
How do I reset my web browser?
If your web browser homepage and search settings have been modfied by Dictionary Toolbar Updater you can restore them to their previous default settings.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer and click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would also like to remove search providers, Accelerators and home pages. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
- The changes will take effect the next time you open IE.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu and select Troubleshooting Information.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens. It will close and be reset.
- When it's done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish and Firefox will open.
- Open Chrome and click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings. In the "Search" section, click Manage search engine. Check if (Default) is displayed next to your preferred search engine. If not, mouse over it and click Make default. Mouse over any other suspicious search engine entries that are not familiar and click X to remove them.
- When the "Show Home button" checkbox is selected, a web address appears below it. If you want the Homepage button to open up a different webpage, click Change to enter a link.
- Restart Google Chrome.
HOW IT STARTS
Automatically starts? Yes
(Found in the run registry)
Uninstall it 61%
Keep it 39%
MOST USED OS
Ask focuses on search traffic through various methods, the number being installation of its toolbars through a lot of bundle and rebrand programs.
Publisher URL: www.ask.com